Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tuesdays Tasting Party - Tortilla Soup

So about a week ago we went to BJ's for dinner and hubby ordered Tortilla Soup (he's not a salad man) for his side dish.  It comes and he liked it so much that he had me taste it, needless to say he lost his soup to our six year old and myself! I was determined to
find a recipe for Tortilla Soup. I know that sometimes you can find recipes for the actual restaurants so of course I tried this first. I was unable to find their exact recipe so after reading over lots of recipes I decided to pick and chose what I wanted mine to have based on how theirs tasted.  The first time was good the second time was just yummy and even though I do not claim to having cracked BJ's secret recipe I think it's a very yummy Tortilla Soup.

Enough talking .... it goes a little something like this!

Michelle's Tortilla Soup



Ingredients:
1 diced onion
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup diced tomatoes (can or fresh)
1/2 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
2 minced cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon of chili pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
7 oz diced green chilis
1 12 oz bag of frozen corn 
42 ounces of Swansons chicken broth
28 ounces of water
2 chicken breasts (cut into small pieces)

Garnish:
Avocado
Corn Tortilla Strips
Monterey Jack Cheese

In a large sauce pan add olive oil, onions, and diced green chilis and cook until onions become translucent. 

Add cilantro, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, and chili pepper and stir fry for 3 minutes.

Add chicken broth, corn, water, and chicken cut up and cook on medium heat for 1 1/2 hours. You can cook it for just an hour and it will be ready but I've found the longer it cooks the better it tastes. 

Once fully cooked serve in soup bowls and add desired amounts of Avocado, Monterey Jack Cheese, and Corn Tortilla Strips.

ENJOY! 

Here are some of the (harder to find) items that I used!


**I found the Corn Tortilla Strips in the grocery store over by the bags of prepackaged lettuce.
Please include a link back!

Time to link up your Tuesday Tasty Treat! 





6 comments:

  1. That sounds yum! I have pinned it so I can reference it for future use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a bad tortilla soup though the ingredients may be slightly different. Yours would be good on these chilly nights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this tonight and it was FANTASTIC. Very similar to the BJs soup! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love BJ's tortilla soup! Is this one thick like theirs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love BJ's chicken tortilla soup but hate onions and tomatoes and can tell you that is NOT in their soup. I have made your recipe several times and left out the tomatoes and onions. I add half a red bell pepper and saute it with the garlic and diced Ortega's. I then add about 4 tablespoons of flour and then slowly stir in the liquid to make it a little thick and reduce the water to about 2 cups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good recipe! I always add beans, and flour for it to taste more similar to BJ's :)

    ReplyDelete